World Organisation Against Torture (OMCT)
Human Rights Officer, Brussels
Deadline for application: 31 October 2015
The World Organisation Against Torture (OMCT), the largest international coalition of non-governmental organisations fighting against torture, summary executions, forced disappearance and all other forms of cruel, inhuman and degrading treatment, is seeking to recruit a full time human Rights Officer for the Human Rights Defenders/Observatory for the Protection of Human Rights Defenders based in its Brussels Office (OMCT Europe). Working languages are English, French and Spanish. The position should be filled from 16 November 2015.
The incumbent will work under the supervision of the Coordinator of OMCT Human Rights Defenders Programme and the Head of OMCT Brussels Office. Responsibilites of the position include:
Protection and Advocacy Grants Management
To coordinate OMCT emergency support to human rights defenders (HRDs) at risk as well as subgranting and advocacy grants to local human rights organisations worldwide. This role will involve:
• Managing emergency grants to HRDs at risk, including screening grants applications and
assessing the eligibility and needs of applicants;
• Overseeing grant-related expenses and ensuring that expenditures are properly tracked,
documented and recorded;
• Managing the documentation and reporting on grants beneficiaries during the lifecycle of the grants as well as related follow-up on measures implemented and impact on the security of beneficiaries;
• Taking part in field missions to verify and follow up grants allocated.
• To conduct case advocacy for HRDs towards and liaise with European Union and United Nations institutions as well as other regional mechanisms for an effective policy for the protection of HRDs;
• To write or supervise urgent interventions in cases involving HRDs and disseminate them and support protection advocacy for defenders under threat;
• To liaise with OMCT network organisations;
• To represent OMCT / the Observatory for the Protection of Human Rights Defenders by
participating in relevant seminars, meetings, missions and conferences;
• To assist with other activities of the Human Rights Defenders/Observatory for the Protection of Human Rights Defenders in support to OMCT Geneva and Brussels offices.
• University degree in law, international relations, political or social sciences or related field.
• At least three years of practical experience in international human rights work, including through internships. Field experience or previous work at the EU or UN level is an asset, as is work on human rights defenders.
• Excellent practical knowledge and understanding of international human rights law, human rights NGOs, UN procedures, EU institutions and regional mechanisms for the protection of human rights.
• Demonstrated commitment to human rights and the rule of law.
• Excellent interpersonal, communication and management skills managing conflicting demands, meeting deadlines and adjusting priorities.
• Ability to adapt to multidisciplinary work in the environment of a multicultural team and to engage with partners in different countries.
• Ability to take initiatives and prioritise with minimum supervision.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills in two of the following languages (English, French or Spanish) with working knowledge in the remaining language. Fluency in other languages such as Arabic and Russian would be an asset.
• Skills in the use of software applications and database management and secure communication is an asset.
How to apply
Applications comprising a cover letter and a CV with at least two references should be addressed to OMCT International Secretariat, by email to email@example.com. No phone calls please. Only shortlisted candidates will be notified. Deadline for the applications: 31 October 2015.