Legal Intern – International and National Standards Programs
Deadline for application: 31 October 2015
REDRESS is seeking applications from excellent law graduates and LLM students with a strong background in international human rights law to work in its International and National Standards Programs. REDRESS works to ensure that international standards relating to the prohibition of torture and reparation for survivors of torture and related international crimes are applied at the national level. Part of this work focuses on bringing strategic cases before domestic, regional and international tribunals, informing and influencing new laws and practices at the domestic level, advocating and building the capacity of national institutions to ensure compliance with existing standards.
The legal intern will work with REDRESS programme staff on a number of assignments. These include independent research on torture cases, background research for reports and submissions before regional/international courts and UN mechanisms and other related projects, with a particular focus on South America (Peru), Africa (Libya and Kenya) and Asia (Nepal). The ideal candidate would either be from one of these countries or possess good knowledge of the human rights context in these geographical areas.
Qualifications and experience
• A solid background in public international law, human rights, humanitarian or international criminal law.
• Basic criminal law / law of evidence desirable.
• Knowledge of the functioning of international human rights tribunals and treaty body mechanisms an asset.
• Strong research skills.
• Fluency in English.
• Strong drafting skills in English.
• Good knowledge of other languages (Spanish and Arabic in particular) would be an asset.
• Previous working experience on torture issues in South America/Africa/Asia desirable.
• Good organisational skills.
Time commitment: Full time or part time for a duration to be agreed between the intern and REDRESS (minimum 3 months).
Remuneration: REDRESS will provide travel and lunch expenses up to 10£ per day.
Application deadline: The application deadline is 31 October 2015 for a start date on 4 January 2016. The application deadline for the April intake is 31 December 2015 for a start date on 1 April 2016.
How to apply
If you would like to be considered please email your CV and a brief covering letter highlighting your key skills and your availability to email@example.com. No calls please.