Council of Europe (CoE), Strasbourg (France)
Human Rights Advisor
Deadline for application: 7 October 2015
Based in Strasbourg, France, the Council of Europe (CoE) brings together 47 member states to protect and promote human rights, democracy and the rule of law throughout Europe and beyond.
The CoE has a vacancy for a Human Rights Advisor. Join the Council of Europe in its mission to ensure human rights for all.
The successful candidate:
• will have a central part to play within the Office of the Commissioner for Human Rights, contributing substantially to our mission.
• enjoying considerable variety and visibility, (s)he will organise and attend visits to member states, including analysing reports by monitoring bodies, drafting briefings, making arrangements with authorities and forging links with NGOs and civil society.
• operating alongside the Commissioner, (s)he will ensure that visits are meaningful and productive, and will prepare thematic reports, statements, speeches and action plans to translate recommendations into action.
• equally importantly, (s)he will lead projects and regularly speak at conferences and seminars, so (s)he will be pivotal to the safeguarding and extension of human rights across Europe.
Qualifications and skills
• Qualified to master’s degree level in Law or Political Science, candidates will bring a proven record in promoting and protecting human rights and therefore have the confidence and technical skills to address human rights issues in national and international settings, backed by familiarity with the CoE's conventions and institutions.
• Candidates will bring exceptional quality control, writing and management skills, and will be capable of building respectful relationships with diverse stakeholders.
Applications should be made in English or French using the Council of Europe online application system before the deadline of 7 October 2015.