European Region of the International Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Trans and Intersex Association (ILGA-Europe), Brussels
Deadline for application: 8 November 2015
ILGA-Europe is a driving force for political, legal and social change at European level. Its vision is of a world where dignity, freedoms and full enjoyment of human rights are protected and ensured to everyone regardless of their actual or perceived sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression and intersex status.
ILGA-Europe is seeking an intern from December 2015 to April 2016 to work with the staff team in Brussels. This is a paid internship.
• To help assess the threats and opportunities that the European LGBTI movement is facing and to evaluate where ILGA-Europe support may be welcomed.
• To assist in the analysis of in-country situations and provide advice on the development of national mobilisation and campaigning activities.
• To collect successful advocacy and campaigning case studies from ILGA-Europe members and contribute to the documentation of best practices.
• To contribute to the creation of a pool of experts who will support the LGBTI movement within the Creating Opportunities programme.
The successful candidate will have:
• Demonstrated strong research and analytical skills.
• Demonstrated experience in communication, mobilisation and campaigning.
• Knowledge of human rights, international standards and equality issues.
• Knowledge of the human rights situation of LGBTI people in Europe.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills - fluency in English is essential; good knowledge of other languages will be considered an asset.
• The ability to think strategically, proactively gather and process complex information and plan any necessary follow-up work.
• The capacity to work in a team and independently; ability to follow-up on time and multitask.
• Computer literacy and excellent IT skills, including use of web and social media.
• Demonstrated clear commitment to organisational values, goals and policies, including those related to equality.
• Demonstrated cultural sensitivity.
Preference shall be given to representatives of ILGA-Europe member organisations.
The successful applicant must be available to relocate to Brussels from December 2015 to April 2016.
Due to Belgian regulations, ILGA-Europe is only in a position to accept applicants who have a valid work permit in the European Union for this internship.
The internship is for a 5-month period (December 2015 to April 2016). Interns will receive a stipend of 1000€/month (net). ILGA-Europe will also cover the travel costs to/from Brussels. The secretariat will provide assistance in finding accommodation for the duration of the internship to the best of its ability.
Please send us the completed application form and a writing sample (one page, short article or other piece of writing that demonstrates the applicant’s writing skills in English). Please note that no CVs will be accepted.
The application should be sent to Maria Pinto (Ref: INTERNSHIP) by Sunday 8 November 2015. Phone interviews will be conducted with short-listed candidates on Friday 13 November.
We apologise in advance that we can only respond to applicants that make it to the interview stage.