Deadline for application: 24 January 2016
PICUM, the Platform for International Cooperation on Undocumented Migrants, is a network of individuals and organisations working to ensure social justice and human rights for undocumented migrants. Grounded in principles of social justice, anti-racism and equality, PICUM works to ensure that all migrants are entitled to a dignified standard of living and respect. Bringing together the experiences and expertise of its members, PICUM generates and coordinates a humane and informed response to undocumented migrants’ realities and provides a platform to engage policy makers and the general public in the full realisation of their rights.
Based in Brussels, the PICUM secretariat leads the network’s advocacy, awareness raising, and research activities. Unlike its members working on the frontline, PICUM’s secretariat does not provide direct assistance to undocumented migrants but works to build a strong civil society network to support each other and challenge discriminatory policies and practices.
PICUM is looking for a trainee for the period from 1 March 2016 - 31 August 2016. The candidate will play an important role in PICUM’s daily work, mainly assisting with administrative tasks, event organisation and membership related activities. The work experience will provide an opportunity to gain hands-on experience with the different facets of operating a transnational NGO network, and promoting social and policy change in the area of human rights for undocumented migrants.
The candidate will contribute to PICUM’s work in the following areas:
• Support the PICUM staff with general administrative tasks including contact and database management, information requests and coordination of volunteers.
• Assist the Membership and Events Coordinator in organising PICUM internal and external events, including PICUM’s Annual Workshop and Annual General Assembly.
• Assist the Membership and Events Coordinator in liaising with PICUM members.
• Assist the Communications Officer in the production of PICUM’s newsletters, updating website content and management of other communication tools.
• Assist PICUM’s Advocacy/Programme Officers with background research, contact management, drafting of papers and other written materials, attend and report on events in Brussels.
• Update PICUM’s library and e-library by classifying and entering into the database various printed and electronic materials on undocumented migrants.
• Translations (depending on language skills).
• Working flexibly alongside other members of the PICUM team to take on reasonable tasks as appropriate over and above those set above.
• University degree.
• Knowledge of and an interest in learning more about issues concerning undocumented migrants and human rights.
• Native French and an excellent level of English (orally and written) are required. Other languages an asset.
• Ability to work independently, flexible and under tight deadlines.
• Good planning and organisational skills.
• Strong writing and computer skills are preferred.
• Some experience in event organisation.
The work is full time and is carried out in PICUM’s office in Brussels.
Starting date: Tuesday, 1 March 2016
Ending date: Wednesday, 31 August 2016
PICUM will provide the candidate with a contract of ‘Professional Immersion’ (‘Convention d'immersion professionnelle’) with a remuneration of € 751 per month.
The deadline for applications is Sunday, 24 January 2016 at midnight (CET). Please send your CV and cover letter in English addressed to Ms Mercedes Miletti at email@example.com, with last name, first name and PICUM internship in the subject line.
Shortlisted candidates will be contacted by 26 January. Please note that due to large numbers of applications and our limited capacity, we regret that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Interviews will take place at PICUM’s secretariat on 4 February 2016. Interviews on Skype are possible in exceptional circumstances.
- Announcement on the PICUM website.