Advocacy and Programmes Assistant
Deadline for application: 28 February 2014
The Equal Rights Trust (ERT) is an independent international organisation whose purpose is to combat discrimination and promote equality as a fundamental human right and a basic principle of social justice. Established as an advocacy organisation, resource centre and a think tank, it focuses on the complex relationship between different types of discrimination, developing strategies for translating the principles of equality into practice.
The Equal Rights Trust is seeking an Advocacy and Programmes Assistant to support its advocacy work and to provide programmes assistance to its international projects.
Reporting to the Head of Advocacy, the post-holder will be required to research and draft advocacy submissions and reports and support the delivery of a number of ERT‘s international projects. The successful candidate will have experience of legal research and advocacy, coupled with first rate inter-personal and organisational skills.
This position is offered on an initial one-year fixed term contract, with the possibility of the post becoming permanent in future.
• Researching and drafting advocacy submissions, statements, letters and press releases.
• Undertaking legal research and drafting reports.
• Supporting the delivery of ERT’s portfolio of international projects.
• Liaising with ERT partner organisations and consultants.
• Monitoring progress against project plans and drafting progress reports.
• Organising events and travel for ERT projects.
• Developing project funding applications.
• Managing interns.
• General administrative tasks.
Essential skills and experience:
• An undergraduate or graduate degree in law or a related discipline.
• Knowledge of international human rights and/or equality law.
• Fluent written and spoken English and the ability to produce high quality written material.
• Excellent organisational skills.
• Excellent inter-personal and communication skills.
• Excellent IT skills, including familiarity with web content management systems or web editing and strong working knowledge of MS Office and internet packages.
• Proofreading and editing experience.
Desirable skills and experience:
• Experience in a similar role.
• Experience in organising events.
• Fundraising experience.
• Fluency in other languages.
The position is based at ERT’s office in London, though some international travel may be required.
Salary range: £18,000 – £22,000
How to apply
Please apply by sending a covering letter, a curriculum vitae and contact details for two referees. Applications should be sent by email only, with subject 'Advocacy and Programmes Assistant' to email@example.com.
The closing date for applications is 28 February 2014. Only short-listed applicants will be contacted.