Internship in the Programme Direction Unit
Deadline for application: 20 February 2014
Protection International (PI) is an international non-profit organization researching strategies and security management tools that protect human rights defenders and sharing its expertise in this area with people at risk for their human rights work all around the world. PI sees human rights defenders as agents of change who form a pillar of free and just societies. In many parts of the world, HRDs face threats from state and non-state actors for their human rights work. PI works with human rights defenders to develop strategies tailored to their profile and context.
The Protection International team is currently offering an internship in the Programme Direction Unit.
The Programme Direction Unit runs field programmes in Asia, Africa and Latin-America. Colleagues in the field form small hubs of expertise in protecting human rights defenders (Protection Desks) and work with local civil society and other public actors with a stake or duty in the protection of human rights defenders.
• Gather relevant information about development and trends on the situation of Human Rights Defenders in priority countries.
• Support logistic arrangements during field visits.
• Translations of working documents.
• Administrative support to both Programme Directors.
• Additional tasks related to fundraising (e.g. supporting in drafting proposals and reports, donor and context research) may be required if needs arise.
Skills & experience
• We are seeking an enthusiastic, self-starter intern who is able to work autonomously and think outside the box.
• Background in Political science, European studies, International Relations, Law.
• Fluency in either English or French (with a good knowledge of the other) is required.
• A knowledge of human rights & humanitarian affairs is desirable.
• Fluency in English and French (Spanish desirable).
• Availability for a minimum period of three to six months with a legal residence in Brussels, Belgium.
How to apply
Please send your CV and cover letter with your motivation to firstname.lastname@example.org.