Deadline for application: 4 December 2014
The Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees offers assistance and protection to refugees around the world. UNHCR is one of the largest refugee agencies, with a staff of over 6500 employees who help some 20,8 million people in over 116 countries.
The Protection Unit for Belgium and Luxembourg is seeking:
• a native Dutch-speaking legal intern starting 16 January 2015
• a native French-speaking legal intern starting 1 February 2015
for a six-month unpaid internship.
The intern should be a native Dutch or French speaker with a Masters in Law, an excellent command of written and spoken English and a good comprehension of French or Dutch. Evidence of previous experience or a strong interest in refugee matters or human rights is appreciated.
What we offer
• Work in a dynamic, international environment
• Learning about refugee issues with one of the largest humanitarian organizations in the world
• First-hand accounts of refugee situations, via presentations given by staff assisting refugees in Belgium and abroad
• Experience with a UN agency
• A variety of interesting tasks
• Opportunity to practise English
• Attendance at meetings with NGOs and the Belgian asylum authorities
• Letter of recommendation from a prestigious organization
Interns are entrusted with increasingly independent tasks. We seek individuals with a responsible, follow-up approach. Interns participate in meetings and their contributions are highly valued.
General description of internship
• Researching country of origin information and summarizing information on a variety of refugee and statelessness issues
• Drafting a wide variety of documents reports, and responding to information requests relating to individual cases
• Monitoring and analyzing Belgian and Luxembourg asylum law and practice
• Writing, editing and translating texts (in English, Dutch and French, according to native language)
• Assisting with the organization of events
• Assistance with general office tasks on an ad hoc basis
How to apply
Please e-mail your CV and cover letter no later than 4 December 2014 to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject 'Legal intern January 2015 – Dutch', or 'Legal intern February 2015 - French'.