Regional internship: Middle East & North Africa (Arabic-speaking)
Deadline for application: 30 December 2014
Front Line Defenders is the International Foundation for the Protection of Human Rights Defenders. We work to provide fast and effective action to help protect human rights defenders at risk so they can continue their work as key agents of social change.
Front Line Defenders invites applications for an internship to support its work in Middle East & North Africa. The intern will work in close coordination with the Protection Coordinator for the Middle East & North Africa region, and will provide support to other relevant staff across other programme areas as required. The internship will be for 6 months and based in Front Line Defenders' office in Blackrock, Co. Dublin, Ireland.
The internship is designed to provide training and practical work experience in an international organisation to recent graduates seeking a career in human rights.
The intern will learn about:
• Human Rights Defenders
• the UN Declaration on Human Rights Defenders
• the mandate of the UN Special Rapporteur
• the role of Front Line Defenders and other national and international organisations in the support and protection of human rights defenders
• the specific situation and challenges facing human rights defenders in the two regions.
The intern will be expected to:
• participate in induction, weekly team meetings and case meetings, and relevant out-of-hours events.
• draft well and have good analytical skills.
• have some knowledge of the UN system and international and human rights law.
• be able to work in both English and Arabic. Please note that we cannot make exceptions to the language requirement.
• work on own initiative and as a member of a team.
• have good oral and written communication skills and be computer literate.
• be flexible and cooperative.
Previous work experience with organisations working in the field of Human Rights is desirable.
Basic terms of reference:
• Provide support to the Protection Coordinator working on Middle East & North Africa, including dealing with routine queries and correspondence with human rights defenders
• Input HRD-related information on the Front Line Defenders' database
• Undertake research on human rights defenders in countries in the two regions
• Compile and draft as requested briefings, country summaries, input to reports, urgent appeals, etc.
• Support follow-up on cases taken up by Front Line Defenders
• Provide support to other relevant staff across other programme areas in relation to activites carried out in the two regions, including in the organisation of and follow-up on trainings
• Provide Arabic-language support as necessary
• Work on other specific projects relating to human rights defenders as requested.
Front Line Defenders is able to provide a contribution to living costs of €1100 per month. Please note that the cost of living in Dublin is high and that you may need additional funds to sustain your stay in Ireland.
The next internships will start in July 2015 and January 2016 for a period of six months each.
How to apply
Applications comprising a cover letter and CV should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org to the attention of Andrea Rocca, Head of Protection by 30 December 2014.
Important: please indicate the FULL title of the position you are applying for in the subject heading of your email: 'Regional internship: Middle East & North Africa' or the application may be missed.