Call for applications for the 2015-2016 postgraduate programme in Children’s Rights
Deadline for application: 30 September 2014
The Master of Advanced Studies in Children’s Rights (MCR) is a part-time two-year postgraduate programme in children's rights, that, from 2015 unwards, will be organised by the University of Geneva, in continuation of the MCR Programme which had been organized between 2003 and 2014 by the University Institute Kurt Bösch (IUKB) and the University of Fribourg, Switzerland.The Master of Advanced Studies in Children's Rights (MCR) is an interdisciplinary and international programme which attracts a diverse range of graduate students from all over the world. The programme is designed for professionals who work with children’s rights issues, these may include: lawyers, psychologists, sociologists, judges, social workers, government officials, staff from non-governmental organisations, academics and journalists.
The programme takes place over a two-year period and requires participants to attend seven compulsory week-long modules (3 modules during the first year and 4 during the second year).
In addition to these residential modules and the completion of exercises and examinations based on the required course reading materials, students are also expected to devise an individual training programme which consists of two obligatory assignments:
• the submission of a report on conferences or meetings attended
• the completion of a research paper (Master’s thesis)
and of one optional task:
• a segment of practical experience (2 weeks) followed by an internship report.
Each residential module has a specific theme:
• Children's rights in context
• Childhood studies and Childhood research methodology
• Children's rights and international law
• Child labour and education
• Children’s rights in contact with the law
• Children’s rights in the context of health and in relation to migration
• Implementation and monitoring strategies.
The compulsory residential modules all take place in Switzerland, and are held either at the IUKB in Sion or at the University of Fribourg.
The total tuition fee for the two-year programme is CHF 15.000 (approximately €12.300/$16.900 USD) and does not include travel or living expenses.
For further information on the Master of Advanced Studies in Children’s Rights, please visit the websites of the Universitaire Kurt Bösch and the Université the Genève.