International Migration Management: from theory to practice
2 - 12 September 2014
Deadline for application: 30 August 2014
The Summer School is a joint effort of the University of Barcelona and the Public Law Institute. The aim of the Summer School is to provide participants with knowledge of the current developments in the field of international migration. Migration will be examined by different disciplines including law, sociology and political sciences. The classes will be conducted by professors and professionals in the field of migration from different European Universities and organizations and they will be accompanied by practical exercises, debates and research work. The classes will be given in English. At the end of the Summer School, participants will be requested to write a memo and they will be rewarded with a certificate of participation.Lectures
• International Migration Flows: Evolution and Tendencies. Drivers of Migration Flows, International Migration Flows and Main Regions of Destination
• International Migration Management: Actors, Policies and Legislation. States and Regional Integration Organizations
• The Regions and the Cities Facing the Migration Challenge (I) - Case Study: the Euro Mediterranean Area
• The Regions and the Cities Facing the Migration Challenge (II) - Workshop
Migration, Return and Co-development
• Globalization and Migrant Workers. The World as an International Marketplace: OMC, GATTS and Markets Liberalization. Impact on Migration
• Migrant Workers’ Education and Vocational Training
• Education and Training of Young People of Migrant Origin
• Immigrant Workers’ Social Rights and Protection
• Highly Skilled Workers and Services Providers
• Workers under Hardship: Sailors, Domestic Workers, Irregular Workers
The programme will include lectures from experienced professors and lecturers from all over the world. A few of our professors include:
• Professor Eleonore Kofman (Middlesex University of London), Co Leader Health and Social Research cluster and Co-Director Social Policy Research Centre
• Professor Jean-Pierre Cassarino (European University Institute), Director of the Return Migration and Development Platform (RDP)
• Professor Alisa Petroff (Autonomous University of Barcelona)
• Mrs Maria Jesus Herrera (IOM-International Organization for the Immigrants), General Director
Applicants are required to be enrolled or acquire a Degree preferably on social sciences, law or humanities and have a strong interest in various aspects of migration. Work experience in the field of migration will also be considered sufficient for admission. Undergraduate and postgraduate students, PhD candidates, researchers and professionals in the field of immigration are highly encouraged to apply.
The tuition fee for participation in the Summer School is €450, covering registration fee, class materials and the issue of the certification. Travel, accommodation and food expenses are excluded from the tuition fees. The University of Barcelona will be able to provide successful candidates with accommodation. The accommodation expenses per night will be €43 for a single room and €30 for a shared room.
Application should be made by 30 August 2014. Late applications will be considered depending on the number of places left. Interested candidates can apply by sending their CV to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For further information, please send an email to email@example.com or visit the Summer School website.