Intern Emergency and Post Crisis
Deadline for application: 7 February 2017
Established in 1951, the International Organization for Migration (IOM) is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to the vacancy of Intern Emergency and Post Crisis.
Under the direct supervision of the Emergency and Post-Crisis Project Assistant and the overall supervision of the Senior Emergency and Post-Crisis Specialist, the incumbent will act as intern to the Emergency and Post-Crisis team. He/ she will have the following duties and responsibilities:
Core functions / responsibilities
1. Assist in the preparation of project review and/or uploading of modification/reports and proposals to DG ECHO.
2. Assist in reviewing project reports in the field of humanitarian aid from IOM field missions to DG ECHO. This includes assisting in the review of report content, drafting of cover letters and update of relevant IOM databases and uploading the reports in APPEL.
3. Assist in providing support to IOM field missions, specifically with information on EU rules and regulations and the application for electronic exchange (APPEL).
4. Assist in resources mobilization by regularly reviewing relevant website for new funding opportunities, relevant press releases and communications, as well as events that are of interest to IOM in the field of humanitarian aid and post crisis operations.
5. Assist in liaising with EC staff as well as IOM missions by attending EC events, drafting messages / summary of relevant EC documentation, regularly updating the IOM EPC Regional Office Brussels webpage and drafting of communication with EC counterparts.
6. Attend unit meetings, external partner meetings, and/or thematic seminars and conferences and take notes when required.
7. Assist in the organization of meetings and events.
8. Assist in relevant tasks in the fields of emergency and post-crisis, resettlement and migration, climate change and environment.
9. Any other tasks as may be required.
Required qualifications and experience
University degree in Political Sciences, Migration Studies, International Relations or Law
• First professional experience in the field of EU liaison, preferably in the field of Emergency & Post-Crisis or DG ECHO would be a distinct advantage.
• Knowledge about EU budget rules and procedures is an advantage.
• Demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft Office applications, including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint is required.
Fluency in English is required. Working knowledge of French and/or Spanish is an advantage.
• Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms.
• Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders.
• Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others.
• Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience.
• Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others.
• Planning and Organizing - plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility.
• Professionalism - displays mastery of subject matter.
• Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation.
The intern will work for the IOM liaison office to the EU. The intern will not only become acquainted with the policies of IOM as an international organization, its multicultural environment and its functioning, but also learn more about the current EU policy discourse on humanitarian aid and migration. The intern will assist on subject area of Emergency and Post-Crisis.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
This post is subject to local recruitment. Only persons holding a valid residence and work permit for Belgium will be eligible for consideration.
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications – Personal History Form and Cover Letter to IOMBrusselsApplications@iom.int by 7 February 2017 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
Download the Personal History Form here.
In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts applications duly completed. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- Announcement on the IOM website.