Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees, Brussels Office
Deadline for application: 31 December 2016
The Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees offers assistance and protection to refugees around the world. UNHCR is one of the largest refugee agencies, with a staff of 10.700 employees who help some 65 million people in over 128 countries.
The Protection Unit for Belgium and Luxembourg seeks a legal intern for a six-month unpaid internship.
The intern should be a native Dutch or French speaker with a Masters in Law, an excellent command of written and spoken English and a very good knowledge of French or Dutch. Evidence of previous experience or a strong interest in refugee matters or human rights is appreciated.
What we offer
• Experience with a UN agency
• Work in a dynamic, international environment
• Learning about refugee and statelessness issues with one of the largest humanitarian organizations in the world
• First-hand accounts of refugee situations, via presentations given by staff assisting refugees in Belgium and abroad
• A variety of interesting tasks
• Opportunity to use languages (English, French and Dutch)
General description of internship
• Monitoring and analyzing Belgian and Luxembourg asylum law and practice
• Researching country of origin information and a variety of refugee and statelessness issues
• Drafting a wide variety of documents including reports and correspondence, and responding to information requests
• Writing, editing and translating texts (in English, Dutch and French, according to native language)
• Assisting with the organization of events
• Assistance with general office tasks on an ad hoc basis
How to apply
Please e-mail your CV and cover letter no later than 31 December 2016 to email@example.com with the subject 'Legal intern 2017 Brussels'.