UN Refugee Agency, Brussels Office
Deadline for application: 1 December 2015
The Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) offers assistance and protection to some 46,3 million people of concern (internally displaced people, refugees, returnees, stateless people, asylum-seekers and others) around the world. It has a staff of over 9300 employees in over 125 countries.
The UNHCR Regional Representation for Western Europe seeks for its Protection Unit for Belgium and Luxembourg 1) a native Dutch-speaking legal intern with a start date of 8 January 2016 in Brussels and 2) a native French-speaking legal intern with a start date of 3 February 2016 in Brussels for a six-month unpaid internship.
The intern should be a native Dutch or French speaker with a Masters in Law, an excellent command of written and spoken English and a good comprehension of French or Dutch. Evidence of previous experience or a strong interest in refugee matters or human rights is appreciated.
What we offer
• Experience with a UN agency
• Work in a dynamic, international environment
• Learning about refugee and statelessness issues with one of the largest humanitarian
organizations in the world
• First-hand accounts of refugee situations, via presentations given by staff assisting refugees in Belgium and abroad
• A variety of interesting tasks
• Opportunity to use languages (English, French and Dutch)
• Attend external and internal meetings
General description of the internship
• Monitoring and analyzing Belgian and Luxembourg asylum law and practice
• Researching country of origin information and a variety of refugee and statelessness issues
• Drafting a wide variety of documents including reports and correspondence, and responding to information requests
• Writing, editing and translating texts (in English, Dutch and French, according to native
• Assisting with the organization of events
• Assisting with general office tasks on an ad hoc basis
How to apply
Please e-mail your CV and cover letter no later than 1 December 2015 to firstname.lastname@example.org
with the subject 'Legal intern January 2016 Brussels – Dutch' or 'Legal intern February
2016 Brussels – French'.