Advice on Individual Rights in Europe (The AIRE Centre), London
Internship - Legal Caseworker
Deadline for application: 22 November 2015
The AIRE Centre is a specialist charity whose mission is to promote awareness of European law rights and assist marginalised individuals and those in vulnerable circumstances to assert those rights;
The AIRE Centre offers a full-time internship for 4 months, starting in January 2016.
Generally interns assist the Legal Director and Legal Project Managers with all aspects of preparatory work for the AIRE centre’s legal advice service and cases pending before the ECtHR, including:
• Legal research in support of cases;
• Corresponding with the client, the Court, or other legal professionals;
• Accompanying the legal team during hearings;
• Keeping effective files
In addition to the above, interns may be requested to assist with:
• Undertaking research for articles, both for publications of The AIRE Centre, and for outside journals/publications;
• Undertaking projects in which The AIRE Centre is asked to take part;
• Legal research for the advice service;
• Attending meetings/conferences/seminars on behalf of The AIRE Centre.
All legal work is supervised. As the AIRE Centre has only one support staff member, both interns and staff are required to assist with administrative tasks as they arise.
To be eligible you must:
• Have a completed law degree
• Have a good understanding of the areas of law in which The AIRE Centre works (EU free movement, EU migration, asylum etc.)
• Be able to work full-time for a minimum of four months
• Have a good standard of written and spoken English
All internships are unpaid, although £5 travel and £3 lunch expenses will be covered for the days worked.
How to apply
To apply, please send a recent CV in addition to a covering letter of no more than 2 pages each, to Vera Soldanova at firstname.lastname@example.org by midnight on Sunday 22 November 2015.