Human Rights Officer
Deadline for application: 21 March 2014
The World Organization Against Torture (OMCT) is the principal international coalition of non-governmental organizations fighting against torture, summary executions, forced disappearances and all other forms of cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment.
OMCT is seeking to recruit a Human Rights Officer to support its Brussels Office (OMCT Europe). The post is intended as a full time position but part time arrangements are possible. Starting date of the post is 1 April 2014.
• Conducting advocacy towards EU institutions for an effective policy against torture and the protection of human rights defenders.
• Organizing OMCT briefings in its programmatic areas.
• Providing legal and policy submissions in coordination with OMCT staff in Geneva, Tunis and Tripoli.
• Researching on EU policies.
• Conducting work on human rights defenders and on the prevention of torture in support to OMCT's central office in Geneva and support its field projects in Brussels.
• Ensuring the proper administration of the OMCT Europe Office (convening board meetings, keeping records and financial accounts).
• Advanced university degree, preferably a post-graduate degree in human rights or democratization, political science or international relations.
• Minimum 3-5 years experience at the national and international levels, including with local or international human rights organizations. Field experience or previous work at the EU level is an asset as is work on human rights defeners and torture.
• Demonstrated commitment to human rights and the rule of law.
• Excellent knowledge of international human rights law, in particular on the prohibition of torture, cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment and the protection of human rights defenders.
• Good understanding of the European Union and its institutions and its human rights policies.
• Excellent communications and organizational skills managing conflicting demands, meeting deadlines and adjusting priorities, and engaging with partners in different countries.
• Experience in fundraising is an asset.
• Oral and written language skills in French and/or English. Other languages, such as Spanish or Russian, are a particular asset.
How to apply
Applications consisting of a cover letter and a CV should be addressed in English or French to the OMCT International Secretariat (email@example.com). Only shortlisted candidates will be notified.
The deadline for application is 21 March 2014. Intervieuws will follow in the two subsequent weeks.