Deadline for application: 12 February 2014
Front Line Defenders is the International Foundation for the Protection of Human Rights Defenders. It provides fast and effective action to help protect human rights defenders at risk so they can continue their work as key agents of social change.
Front Line Defenders' EU Office is looking to recruit an intern to conduct a research project on foreign policy priorities of EU Member States, and how Member States' interest influence the implementation of their human rights policies in third countries, in particular with regard to human rights defenders. The project focus will be on Spain, Italy, and Germany.
The internship includes the following tasks:
• Under the supervision of the EU Advocacy Officer, conduct a research project on the foreign policy priorities of Spain and Italy. This will include conducting bibliographic research, interviews and meetings with relevant sources in Spain and Italy to collect information and views.
• Support Advocacy Officer in conducting similar research on Germany.
• Assist in the organisation of advocacy and other missions.
Desired profile and required qualifications
• Relevant academic background.
• Excellent written and oral skills in Spanish and Italian, as well as in English or French.
• Knowledge of Spanish and Italian foreign policies, in particular in the area of human rights. Previous research experience in this area will be an asset.
• The successful intern should be familiar with the functioning of the European Union, international affairs, and human rights law.
• Willingness and ability to travel to Spain and Italy to conduct interviews with relevant contacts when necessary.
• Well-organised and ability to work independently.
• Good computer skills (office applications).
The successful candidate will be responsible for organising their own travel and accommodation. He/She will receive limited compensation of around EUR 800 per month, under a 'convention of professional immersion'.
How to apply
Applications comprising a CV, cover letter (in English or French) and two references with contact details should be sent by email to Vincent Forest, Head of Front Line Defenders' EU Office, by 12 February 2014 (email@example.com).
Please put 'Application – Research Intern' in the subject bar of your email. Interviews will take place during the second half of February. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.