Deadline for application: 3 February 2014
About the EMHRNThe Euro-Mediterranean Human Rights Network (EMHRN) was founded in January 1997 in response to the Barcelona Declaration of November 1995 and the establishment of the Euro-Mediterranean Partnership (EMP). It is the coordinating body of about eighty human rights organisations and institutions as well as individuals from over thirty countries. The EMHRN organisational structure is built on a general assembly, an executive committee, working groups and a secretariat.
Rooted in civil society the Network seeks to develop and strengthen partnerships between NGOs in the EuroMed region, i.e. networking aimed at strengthening the capacity of members to act and interact within the context of the region and the Barcelona process and other EU-Arab cooperation frameworks.
The EMHRN secretariat is situated in Copenhagen, with offices in Brussels, Amman, Paris and Tunis.
EMHRN is looking to recruit a bright and enthusiastic intern to assist the Brussels office in its justice related work. The internship will start on 1 March 2014 for a period of 5 months.
Description of tasks
The intern will assist the Justice Coordinator in her day-to-day tasks regarding the coordination of EMHRN’s Justice Working Group and the running of the Justice Programme, including but not limited to:
• Assisting in the organisation of working groups or other types of meetings, incl. budgeting and accounting.
• Assisting in the organisation of advocacy and other missions.
• Communicating (phone and email) with EMHRN members and others.
• Compiling the newsletter on justice issues in the region.
• Assisting in proofreading and editing documents published on behalf of the EMHRN.
• Gathering information and drafting notes/reports/up-dates on specific issues related to the independence of the judiciary, transitional justice and other justice related matters in the Euro-med region.
• Assisting in maintaining close coordination with EMHRN’s partners and associates in the justice project and with EMHRN members in the region.
• General administrative tasks and ad hoc activities.
Profile, skills and background
• University Degree (may be ongoing) in Law (other degrees may also be considered).
• Keen interest and preferably proven work experience in the protection of human rights, justice matters, NGOs of the EU/Middle East.
• Fluency in both English and French (oral and written). Applicants who do not match the language requirement in English and French will not be considered. Knowledge of Arabic in addition to English and French will be considered a strong advantage.
• Computer literacy in Word (at least basic Excel knowledge is required).
• Ability to conduct research and to communicate clearly and concisely in writing.
• Good communication and interpersonal skills.
• Keen attention to details.
• Self-motivated, well organised, able to work independently and efficiently under pressure
How to apply
If you believe you qualify for this position, please send your CV and motivation letter (in English) by Monday 3 February 2014, 12:00 GMT, to Maysa Zorob at EMHRN.firstname.lastname@example.org.
Interviews will take place during the second half of February. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.