The Hague Academy of International Law, The Hague
Deadline for application: 10 January 2014
The Hague Academy of International Law, founded in 1923, is a high level, post-academic institution for the study and dissemination of public and private international law. The Academy's well-known Summer Programme and its Centre for Studies and Research are held in the Peace Palace in The Hague (Netherlands) during the months of July, August and September.
The lectures, given either in French or in English, in the programme of the summer courses are published in the well-regarded Recueil des Cours/Collected Courses. Six to eight new volumes are published each year (approximately 3000-4000 pages) which also appear electronically. In addition, some of these courses are published as pocketbooks (approximately 1800 pages) and e-books. The Academy also produces reports and collections of papers prepared by the Directors of Research and participants in its Centre (approximately 1000 pages). Finally, the Academy publishes on an occasional basis papers from colloquia that it sponsors on selected topics in the field of international law, catalogues and specific works.
The Academy seeks to appoint a Publications Manager with copy-preparing/proof-reading responsibilities. The appointee will take the position of the current Manager who retires on 30 June 2014.
Requirements and responsibilities
• Thorough knowledge of French so as to be able to correct at a high level manuscripts that are submitted in French, and active knowledge of English.
• Broad experience in professional publishing with strong preference for law.
• Training and experience in copy-preparing and supervision at all stages of production.
• Capability of working in goals-oriented environment to plan for and achieve enhanced production cost and efficiencies.
• Ability to:
- direct an existing team of French and English language copy preparers/proof-readers;
- evaluate and retain additions/replacements to the team; supervise final make-up of all the works;
- propose lay-out for specific publications;
- assume overall responsibility for the entire production process of all Academy publications, including liaison with typesetters and printers and a close collaboration with the authors; and
- check all PDFs and sign the approval for the press run.
Role and location
The Publications Manager will work under the guidance of the Joint Committee on Publications of the Academy and will co-ordinate on a regular basis with the Secretary General and the Treasurer of the Academy.
The Publications Manager need not be resident in The Hague provided that he or she can demonstrate the capacity to manage from his or her place of residence the responsibilities of the position including co-ordination with the Academy.
The Publications Manager will be engaged under a services contract with the Hague Academy that will be governed by Dutch law. Competitive fees based on training and experience will be paid both for the copy-preparing and proof-reading and for the overall management.
How to apply
Applications should be made in the form of a letter accompanied by a complete Resume/Curriculum Vitae including references (with phone and e-mail contacts) and be sent to the Academy of International Law, att. Mr Steven van Hoogstraten, Treasurer, Peace Palace, 2517 KJ The Hague, or by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org before 10 January 2014.
All applications will be held in strict confidence. Names of applicants not selected will not be disclosed. Inquiries to references of applicants will occur only after having received approval of the applicant.
Interviews with finalists for the position are expected to be scheduled as from February 2014 with a view to the Academy's reaching a decision and completing contract arrangements during March/April 2014.
The complete job description can be found here.