Policy & Advocacy Officer
Deadline for application: 18 October 2013
Salud por Derecho is a human rights organization focused on defending the right to health. Through political advocacy, awareness raising and social mobilization, in Spain and at the European levels, the organization works so that all people ar able to exercise their right to health.
Salud por Derecho's work is focused on three lines of action:
• Promoting more and better health R&D in an innovation system that is needs-driven and that ensures access to biomedical products.
• Contributing to achieving universal access to prevention, treatment and care for HIV/AIDS.
• Promoting the creation of a global social health protection framework that ensures access to quality basic services for all.
Salud por Derecho is currently looking for a Policy & Advocacy Officer.
The responsibilities of the person who holds the position of Policy & Advocacy Officer will be to implement and develop advocacy projects in the organization. Under the supervision of the Executive Director of Salud por Derecho, the new Officer will be responsible for researching, developing proposals and recommendations, fostering public debate, and mobilizing different actors around a common agenda that will make possible Salud por Derecho’s institutional achievements.
• Follow-up and analysis of Spanish, European and international policies on health R&D and innovation, with special attention to neglected and poverty related diseases; access to medicines; development financing; and global health. HIV/AIDS and the right to health in impoverished countries are also priority topics on the organization’s agenda.
• Develop policy materials (papers, reports, position papers and proposals) and communications to distribute through different channels (Salud por Derecho’s website, social media and traditional media).
• Design advocacy plans and projects. Organize events, campaigns, conferences, etc.
• Represent and defend the objectives of the organization in different forums and arenas, both nationally and internationally.
• Build and develop relationships with main decision makers and stakeholders.
• Develop alliances and facilitate working groups and discussion forums promoted by Salud por Derecho.
Salud por Derecho is looking for a person with profound knowledge of biomedical R&D processes and policies, innovation and access to medicines; interested in Human Rights and in development and global health public policies. The candidate should have at least five years of experience in similar positions in the academic or civil society sectors or within public institutions.
Absolute fluency in English and Spanish are a requirement, as well as:
• Excellent ability to build and maintain relationships and outstanding oral and written communication skills.
• University Degree and further studies.
• Ability to travel on a timely basis.
• Identification with the values and goals of the organization, and clear motivation to work in the social arena, promoting human rights and public health.
How to apply
Send your CV and cover letter to email@example.com by 18 October 2013, mentioning 'PAO_2013' in the subject line.