Faculty of Law, University of Antwerp, Belgium
Full-time (1 year) or part-time (2 years of 50%) Researcher in the Law and Development Research Group
Deadline for application: 15 August 2013
The Democratic Republic of the Congo is implementing a 'sanitised villages' programme, which is supported by UNICEF. The human rights based programme aims at improving the living conditions in the targeted villages, thus ameliorating hygiene and the environment as well as access to drinking water and suitable toilets. UNICEF’s interventions are explicitly rights-based.
The researcher will carry out the legal analysis at the international (and partly national) level, within the localizing human rights research line of the Law and Development Research Group. She/he will also contribute to the preparation of the field research, to be carried out by the research team in the DRC.
The main focus of the research will be on:
• An analysis of the human rights based approach of UNICEF.
• An analysis of the agreement between UNICEF and the DRC on the sanitised villages project.
• An analysis of DRC Constitutional provisions relevant to the project.
This research project forms part of the IAP “The Global Challenge of Human Rights Integration: Towards a Users’ Perspective”.
Profile and requirements
• You hold a master degree in law
• You can submit good academic results
• You have knowledge of international human rights law and/or development
• You have experience or interest in interdisciplinary / social science research
• You have strong analytic and writing skills
• You are fluent in English, French and Dutch
• You are able to work independently and in team
• You are quality-oriented, conscientious and flexible
• Also students in the final year of their degree can apply
• A full-time contract of 1 year (or 50% during two years)
• The start date of the contract will be 1 November 2013
• A gross monthly salary ranging from € 3.145,57 - € 5.323,28
• A dynamic, international and stimulating work environment
Applications should be submitted online (you first need to register until the closing date of 15 September 2013.
More information about the application form can be obtained from Ellen Huijer (+32 3 265 31 45) or Robin Wynants (+32 3 265 31 41).
For questions about the profile and the description of duties, please contact Prof. Koen De Feyter (+32 3 265 58 82).
The University of Antwerp strives to contribute to an open, democratic and multi-cultural society. We are a family friendly environment and follow an equal-opportunities policy.
The full job description can be consulted here.