European Women's Lobby (EWL), Brussels
Policy Officer and Project Coordinator
Deadline for application: 18 January 2013
About the EWL
The European Women’s Lobby (EWL) is the largest umbrella organisation of over 2000 women’s associations in the European Union. The EWL aims at promoting women’s rights and equality between women and men in the European Union. For its Secretariat based in Brussels, the EWL is seeking a full-time Policy Officer and Project Coordinator.
The Policy Officer and Project Coordinator will:
• Join the Policy Team, which assists the EWL in its work on gender equality, anti-discrimination, immigration and integration of migrant women.
• Coordinate the European Political Mentoring Network, which aims to empower ethnic minority women and women of foreign origin who interested in running for the June 2014 European elections.
• Be legally entitled to live and work in Belgium
• University degree
• At least 2 years of relevant work experience in the governmental or non-governmental sector or as a researcher on women’s rights and gender equality
• At least 2 years of experience in project management and financial management
• Strong commitment to the effective achievement of women’s rights and equality between women and men and knowledge/experience in this area
• Experience in mentoring/capacity building activities
• Knowledge of European policies and institutions
• Excellent organisational capacities
• Good networking skills
• Capacity to work in a team and autonomously
• Fluency in English and preferably also in French
• Computer literacy and excellent IT skills
• Take the lead role in the monitoring and implementation of EWL political priorities in relation to gender equality and anti-discrimination policies, immigration, asylum and integration of migrant women.
• Support the inclusion of an intersectional perspective in all policy areas of the EWL in coordination with other EWL policy officers and the EWL communication officer.
• Develop and maintain relations with the European institutions, international bodies as well as civil society networks and organisations.
• Support other EWL policy activities as requested by the Secretary General.
• Coordinate the activities of the EWL Political Mentoring Network
• Coordinate the pairing and relationships of mentees and mentors including organising
face-to-face meetings of mentees and mentors every semester
• Organise capacity building activities for mentees
• Organise hearings in the European parliament
• Ensure consistency and complementarity between the Political Mentoring Network and the EWL 50/50 Campaign in view of the European elections 2014
• Ensure the visibility of the Political Mentoring Network internally and externally
• Ensure the financial management of the project
• Report to funders and membership
• Contribute to fundraising for the continuation of the project
• Support the preparation and organisation of EWL meetings and other internal processes as relevant.
• Participate in and contribute to the EWL information and communication work.
• Participate in and contribute to the weekly staff meetings, internal brainstorming meetings and staff strategy days as requested by the Secretary General.
The EWL offers a 10-month Belgian employment contract (salary range 2800-3200 gross per month according to level of experience and expertise) with the possibility of extension.
The EWL also offers secondary employment benefits such as:
• Luncheon vouchers
• 13th month salary
• hospitalisation and pension insurance after 6 months of employment and
• 26 days of paid holidays.
The starting date will be March 2013.
How to apply
To apply, please fill in the application form and send it together with a cover letter addressed to the Secretary General to firstname.lastname@example.org by 18 January 2013 at the latest. Kindly mention ‘Application - Policy Officer and Project Coordinator’ in the subject bar. Please note that applications which do not include the completed application form will not be considered.
Interviews with shortlisted applicants will be held in Brussels a the end of January, beginning of February 2013. We regret that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Candidates should hold a valid work permit in Belgium.
The EWL is an equal opportunities employer and is committed to equal opportunities including irrespective of gender, sexual orientation or identity, religion or belief, race or ethnicity, age or disability.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact the EWL Secretariat at email@example.com.