Vacant Position of Policy Officer
The European Network against Racism (ENAR) is recruiting a full-timePolicy Officer for a one-year period which could be extended depending on availability of funds.
Job descriptionThe Policy Officer implements the policy strategy, as developed within ENAR’s annual work plan and as outlined by the Policy Director. The Policy Officer:
● monitors policy developments within the European Institutions and identifies issues of concern for ENAR and its network;
● identifies and assesses new policy initiatives, new draft legislation and any other relevant policy information;
● drafts preliminary policy positions and policy papers;
● develops advocacy initiatives (including policy-related campaigning activities);
● assists the policy unit in promoting the Positive Narrative for Equality and Diversity;
● develops a network with policy makers and politicians and liaises with relevant counterparts, when and where required;
● is involved in the preparation of content for conferences and publications and other ENAR initiatives;
● prepares, drafts and implement special projects such as EU funded ENAR projects and various grant applications;
● supports the Policy Director in the business engagement programme, identifying potential partners, developing project proposals and managing specific business engagement programs;
● works closely with the Policy Director, the other Policy Officer, the Press and Communication Officer and the Networking Officer to ensure consistency in the policy, communication and campaigning work.
Reporting dutiesThe Policy Officer reports to the Policy Director.
Line managementNo line management duties beyond guiding his/her own Intern, if applicable.
Person specification● Minimum 3 years of proven track record in policy analysis and/or lobbying work at national or international level, of which at least 1 year’s work experience at EU level;
● Extensive knowledge of and at least 1 year’s work experience in an NGO or similar organization;
● Very good understanding of EU legal instruments and EU institutions;
● Good knowledge of human rights, discrimination and/or related issues;
● Outstanding political and analytical skills;
● Good judgment and maturity;
● Strong drafting skills;
● Sound organisational skills;
● Good communication and presentation skills;
● Ability to address a wide range of audiences;
● Ability to prioritise work, to meet deadlines and to work under pressure;
● Good team player;
● Experience of working in a multicultural team;
● Speak and write fluently in English and good knowledge of French;
● Ability and willingness to travel as required;
● Strongly committed to the aims and objectives of ENAR and anti-racism work in general.
ENAR strives for an ethnic and gender balance in its staff and to ensure that opportunities offered are accessible to all regardless of gender, age, race or ethnicity, religion or belief, disability, sexual orientation. ENAR encourages individuals or members of groups which are affected by racial, ethnic or religious discrimination to apply for this post.
SalaryThe gross salary is 2,980 € per month, plus benefits (lunch vouchers). Conditions are according to Belgian legislation including the legal ability to live and work in Belgium.
ApplicationsA complete application contains:
(1) Application form - Part 1 and Part 2 - Please note that Part 1 of this application form is not shared with the selection committee until the interview. Please make sure that your application (Part 2) is anonymous.
(2) Equal opportunities form - Although we would welcome receipt of this form, it is not mandatory. Please do not put your name on this form.
(3) A writing sample (report, article, etc. – English only) of maximum 1.200 words - Please do not put your name on this report or article.
CVs or any European application forms will not be accepted. You are required to use the ENAR application form. All information given in the application, including the Equal Opportunity monitoring form, will be treated in a confidential manner.
DeadlineAll applications should be submitted via e-mail to email@example.com by 10 September 2012 (midnight Belgian time). Please put ‘Application Policy Officer’ in the subject line.
Please save the documents in the following manner to facilitate our internal processes:
- Application form - Part 1: your first name and family name - home page;
- Application form - Part 2: 01-application;
- Equal opportunities form: 02-equal opp;
- Writing sample: 03-writing sample.
Make sure that your application form (except for the homepage), equal opportunities form and writing sample are anonymous.
Start jobJanuary 2013.