Vacant Position of Lawyer/Jurist
The Belgian Committee for Aid to Refugees (Belgisch Comité voor Hulp aan Vluchtelingen or BCHV), an NGO active in the field of social and legal support for asylum seekers and refugees and the operational partner of UNHCR in Belgium for legal assistance to asylum seekers and refugees, is seeking a lawyer/jurist for its Project “Legal Aid and Analysis”.
The lawyer will divide his/her time between providing legal assistance to asylum seekers in the context of individual case files and analysing the asylum procedure. He/she will work in a team of 3 lawyers whose main tasks are:
● Securing judicial treatment of cases of asylum seekers: determination of refugee status, subsidiary protection, finding information about the country of origin and formulating reasoned opinions to UNHCR or directly to the asylum authorities to support the case of these applicants;
● Active legal assistance to lawyers and first-line actors in the ambit of asylum;
● Participation in the observance of the legal affairs and the jurisprudence, and the analysis of the available information and the drafting of legal memoranda;
● Participation end follow-up of legal issues as to the asylum procedure and case-law applied in Belgium and of the respect for international treaties and obligations;
● Attend the contact meeting and participation in the drafting of the records of the meeting.
● University degree in Law (Licence in Law or Master of Laws);
● Bilingual Dutch - French and working knowledge of English;
● Minimum two years experience in the ambit of asylum, preferably in the handling of individual case files;
● Interest in asylum issues;
● Knowledge and experience with the Belgian Aliens Act of 1980 and international law on asylum and human rights;
● Editorial capacities;
● Analysis of legal texts;
● Being able to work on urgent case files.
● A fascinating work in a pleasant atmosphere;
● A full-time contract for a fixed period of 18 months, starting on 15 September 2012 (renewable together with the project).
● Salary in accordance with qualifications and professional experience.
Please send your CV and cover letter/letter of motivation by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For information, call +32 (0)2 5378220 or www.cbar-bchv.be.
DeadlineBefore 7 September 2012.