Partially paid Internship
Brussels, 3 September - 21 December 2012
The Platform for International Cooperation on UndocumentedMigrants (PICUM), a non-governmental organization that aims to promote the respect for basic social rights of undocumented migrants in Europe, is looking for an intern.
PICUMPICUM seeks to achieve this aim by providing its members and other interested parties with expertise, advice and support, by strengthening networking amongst organizations dealing with undocumented migrants in Europe, and by formulating recommendations for improving the legal and social position of these migrants, in accordance with national constitutions and international treaties.
Interns play an important role in the projects and on-going work of PICUM. They are offered an opportunity to gain hands-on experience with the different facets of promoting social and policy change in the area of human rights for undocumented migrants.
TasksFor the period from September to December 2012, the intern will contribute to PICUM’s work in the following areas:
● Provide support for the organisation of PICUM’s workshops and events;
● Assist the communications team in the coordination of volunteers, the production of PICUM’s newsletters and management of communication tools;
● Provide support to PICUM’s policy and advocacy activities, conduct background research, update institutional contact lists, analyse policy proposals and draft documents;
● Database: regularly update the list of contacts and develop policy and media contacts;
● Website: update information and provide support for the renovation of the website by inserting the translated parts;
● Update PICUM’s library and e-library by classifying and entering into the database various printed and electronic materials on undocumented migrants;
● Support the PICUM Director, and PICUM staff with general administrative tasks.
Profile● University degree, Master’s Degree an asset;
● Some knowledge of and an interest in learning more about issues concerning undocumented migrants;
● Excellent level of English (oral and written proficiency). Working knowledge of Spanish and/or French is compulsory. Other EU languages are an asset;
● Able to work independently;
● Strong writing, computer, and telephone skills are preferred.
TimeframeThe internship is full time.
TermsPICUM will provide the intern with an allowance of 314.4 €/month (1.257,57 € over the whole period of the internship). It will also reimburse local travel costs to the office in Brussels. Interested candidates with scholarships or funding are encouraged to apply as well. These candidates would not benefit from the allowance.
DeadlineThe deadline for applications is Sunday 8 July 2012 at midnight.
Selection procedurePlease send your CV and cover letter in English to email@example.com, with [name, last name] and “PICUM Internship Autumn 2012” in the subject line. Please address your email to Mr. Nicola Flamigni. Interviews will take place at PICUM’s secretariat on Friday 13 July from 11:00 to 13:00. Interviews on Skype are also possible, but only during the same time period. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Please no phone calls or emails.