Communications Unit Intern
Brussels, September 2012 – February 2013
The International Crisis Group is currently seeking a communications intern in Brussels to work for six months beginning in September 2012. The internship would suit a candidate with a recent graduate degree in journalism, media and/or communications. Knowledge of political science and international relations are an asset.
Responsibilities● Draft media outputs such as press releases, commentary articles and newsletters;
● Media monitoring;
● Liaising with international and local media; organising press briefings;
● Providing assistance to the Communications Director and to the Senior Communications Officer;
● Maintaining the Crisis Group database of media contacts;
● Maintaining and updating social media channels;
● Producing podcasts and multimedia presentations.
Requirements● Excellent verbal and written command of English; proficiency in Spanish, German or Portuguese would be an added asset;
● Enrolled in or recently completed a post graduate degree in journalism and/or communications is a must, knowledge of political science, conflict studies or similar are an asset.
● Communicative, team player, works well under time pressure
Desirable● Multimedia skills, e.g. knowledge of Adobe Flash and the other creative suite applications;
● Previous media experience, especially in video/audio and photography editing;
● Experience in promotion using social media channels;
● Proven interest in international relations/conflict analysis.
Unpaid and full-timePlease note that our internships are unpaid and full-time.
Procedure & deadlineIf you wish to apply please send your CV in English, a one page cover letter, work samples in your relevant languages (preferably journalistic texts) and your preferred starting date to email@example.com, clearly stating "Communications Intern” no later than 12 July 2012. Please include your preferred start date in your cover letter, and include your language skills in your application email. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Unfortunately, due to the large number of applications that we receive, we are unable to respond to each individual candidate. Only short-listed ones will be contacted.