National Platform of Self Advocates, Galway, Ireland
Vacancies for the positions of Administrator and Facilitator/Support Person
Deadline for application: 21 May 2015
The National Platform of Self-Advocates is the first independent national self-advocacy group in Ireland. It is a committee of 12 self advocates with disabilities from all over Ireland, who meet once a month in Dublin, organise a national conference once a year, and have regional meetings all over the country.
The platform is seeking applications for the positions of Administrator and Facilitator/Support Person.
Description of contract
This is a contract for services and is not an employment contract. The successful candidate will have to submit a current tax clearance certificate and will be responsible for their own tax liability.
Salary will reflect the experience and skills of the administrator appointed.
This is a contract for three years from September 2015. There will be a probation period of 6 months and a review of the contract after the first year. The contract is for two to three days per week.
The person should be willing to travel around Ireland.
The tasks of the administrator will include:
• Take notes at all Platform meetings (Steering Committee meetings, Finance Committee meetings, Planning Committee meetings)
• Work with the Platform Treasurer to keep track of Platform finances (money spent, money left), report to funders, pay Platform expenses.
• Send out information about the Platform and manage Platform stationery (post and email) to Platform members and Committee members (for example, time, date and venue for meetings, minutes from previous meetings, meeting agendas).
• Support the Secretary and Assistant Secretary of the Steering Committee to write letters on behalf of the Platform and to read out minutes at meetings if the person needs that support.
• Reply to people who contact the Platform (phone, email or letter).
• Arrange and plan meetings for the Platform (booking accessible meeting venues, arranging catering, checking who can attend, make travel arrangements, set up appointments for people who want to meet the Platform).
• Send out and collect membership forms and membership fees, keep Platform membership records up to date.
• Work with the Platform PRO to keep website and social media up to date, and contact technical support if needed.
• Prepare Platform information in easy to read documents (the Platform can provide some training on this).
• Good communication skills (ability to use visual aids and other supportive communication)
• Respect for members of the Platform
• Background knowledge of disability issues
• Patience with people who may have difficulty with speech
• Ability to take time to allow people to get their voice across
• IT skills (telephone, email, Microsoft Word, etc.)
• Good listening skills
• Available for travel around Ireland
• Ability to liase with various organisations
• Garda Clearance
• Experience in managing finances
• Experience in working with people with disabilities
• Experience of organising a national conference
• Knowledge of grant-writing
Description of contract:
This is a contract for service and is not an employment contract. The successful candidate will have to submit a current tax clearance certificate and will be responsible for their own tax liability.
This is a contract for three years from September 2015. Salary will reflect the experience and skills of the Facilitator/Support Person.
There will be a probation period of 6 months and a review of the contract after the first year.
We want the facilitator to work with the national platform for two to three days a week.
The person should be willing to travel around Ireland.
The tasks of the Facilitator Support person will include:
• Work with the chairperson and sectary to plan and manage our monthly committee meetings.
• Help us with our monthly steering group meetings and make sure everyone gets a chance to talk.
• Support the National Platform complete their 3 year strategic plan.
• Making the Voice of the National Platform Stronger, supporting the Platform to connect with people who have a disability, organise 2 to 3 regional meetings, plan a national conference and visit organisations and present at conferences and seminars.
• Making the Lives of People With a Disability Better, supporting the Platform to carry out research and making information accessible.
• Becoming an Independent Organisation, supporting the Platform to become independent so that it will be recognised and registered as a legal independent entity, link with solicitors to get legal advice and find suitable office space.
• Good communication skills and understand how to use visual aids, easy to read and plain English communication.
• Take on the way we do things and respect the way the national platform of self-advocates work.
• Have good listening skills.
• Have experience of facilitating groups of people.
• Have patience and work at our pace and give people time to explain themselves.
• Respect every person’s right to talk and not to talk over us or finish our sentences.
• Eager to learn how to work with people with disabilities in respectful way.
• Be flexible.
• Have an understanding of policy and law that is important for people with disabilities.
• Have Garda Clearance.
• Experience of working with people with disabilities.
• Experience of organising a national conference.
• Knowledge of how to register a group as an independent legal entity.
If you want to apply for this job please fill out the application form in Plain English and send it by email to firstname.lastname@example.org by 21 May 5pm.
Or please post to National Platform of Self Advocates c/o Centre for Disability Law and Policy, National University of Ireland Galway, University Road, Galway.
For informal enquiries call Eilionoir Flynn, a member of the support team of the National Platform 091494010 or email email@example.com.
Interviews will be held the week of 8-14 June and applicants are asked to keep these dates free. Interviews are likely to be held in Dublin.
The following documents will be made available to potential applicants if requested by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
• Vision statement
• 3 year Strategic Plan
• History Document