Chr. Michelsen Institute, Bergen (Norway)
Senior Researcher/Researcher on Global Health and Development
Deadline for application: 25 March 2015
Chr. Michelsen Institute (CMI) is an independent development research institute in Bergen, Norway, with around 70 staff members. It generates and communicates research-based knowledge relevant for fighting poverty, advancing human rights, and promoting sustainable social development. Its geographic orientation is towards Africa, Asia, the Middle East, and Latin America.
CMI seeks a dedicated senior researcher keen to take a leading role in advancing our research programme on Global Health and Development. Researchers with less experience but with an interest and talent to grow into such a role are also welcome to apply.
The research programme has two main pillars: Health services - the provision and utilization of quality health services (health worker performance, incentives, financial protection, health rights, etc.) and Health and development - improving health through interventions beyond the health sector (education, economic empowerment, nutrition, etc.). More info here.
The successful candidate will be partly funded by a five-year research project which evaluates the impact of performance based financing in the health sector in Tanzania. The researcher is also expected to develop and seek funding for new research projects, including projects in cooperation with the Centre for Intervention Science in Maternal and Child Health – a Centre of Excellence hosted at the University of Bergen, as well as conducting relevant commissioned research. Other research agendas relevant to CMIs profile may also be pursued.
• PhD degree in a relevant field (quantitative skills required)
• Relevant research and field experience
• Proven ability to publish in peer-reviewed journals
• Interest in and ability to communicate research to practitioners and policy makers
• Fluency in English, including excellent writing skills
• Proven ability to raise funding for research
• Experience in project management
• Self-starting, creative, and flexible
• Ability to work well with teams
• The chance to be part of the leading multidisciplinary development research institute in Scandinavia and to shape our research agenda on global health and development
• The opportunity to work with top international researchers in a Centre of Excellence
• A permanent position with a competitive salary based on qualifications
• Assistance with moving from abroad
• A conductive environment for families with children
Bergen is situated between fjords and mountains, and is a city with excellent opportunities for an active life.
How to apply
The application deadline is 25 March 2015. We accept only applications via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please submit the following to the above address, citing ‘Global Health Researcher’ in the subject field:
• Application letter outlining your qualifications and personal qualities, your motivation for applying, and your research agenda, including possible funding sources.
• Publication list and copies of relevant publications (max 4)
• Three references, including phone numbers and e-mail addresses
Questions regarding the position can be directed to: email@example.com.