Euro-Mediterranean Human Rights Network (EMHRN), Brussels
EMHRN Mashrek and Turkey Advocacy Officer
Deadline for application: 18 June 2013
The EMHRN is a network of more than 70 human rights organisations in 30 countries. Our mission is to promote and strengthen human rights and democratic reform within the framework of the Euro-Mediterranean relations, the European Neighbourhood Policy and other EU-Arab cooperation frameworks. The Network seeks to develop and strengthen partnerships between NGOs in the EuroMed region, disseminate human rights values and increase members’ capacity in this regard. The EMRHN organisational structure is built on a general assembly, an executive committee and a secretariat. The EMHRN secretariat is located in Copenhagen. It has offices in Brussels Paris, Tunis, and Amman.
The Euro-Mediterranean Human Rights Network (EMHRN) invites candidates to apply for the newly established position of Mashrek and Turkey Advocacy Officer based in its office in Brussels.
Since the opening of its EU office in Brussels in 2001, the EMHRN has build-up its advocacy capacities around the relations between the European Union and EU Member States and their South Mediterranean partners, becoming one of the major civil society actors in this field and a key interface between South Mediterranean human rights civil society and the EU institutions and mechanisms (ENP, UfM) in Brussels. EMHRN main advocacy objectives for the coming years are to strengthen its work on the human rights instruments in the bi-lateral relations between the EU and its South Mediterranean Partners, to gradually address other international bodies (UN, Arab League) and to continue advocating on EMHRN’s main thematic issues (Freedom of association, Justice, Gender and Women’s Rights, Migration and Asylum, Israel and Palestine and, in the future, Discrimination and Economic and Social Rights). EMHRN Advocacy Department is currently composed of an Advocacy Director, a Maghreb Senior Advocacy Officer, a Palestine-Israel Coordinator, a Palestine-Israel Assistant and an Advocacy Assistant.
Coordinating and impulsing EMHRN’s advocacy on Mashrek countries and Turkey
As EMRHN Mashrek and Turkey Advocacy Officer, you will have the task to coordinate and strengthen EMHRN advocacy activities in relation to Egypt, Jordan, Lebanon and Syria (Israel and Palestine being outside your mandate) as well as to Turkey. You will work under the supervision of the Advocacy Director and in close cooperation with your colleagues (advocacy officers, thematic and country coordinators) and EMHRN member organisations in the countries concerned.
• Monitor the development of EU and EU member States’ human rights policies and practice (and when relevant UN and Arab League) with regard to Egypt, Jordan, Syria, Lebanon and Turkey.
• Provide information on human rights developments in Egypt, Jordan, Syria, Lebanon and Turkey to the EU, EU Member States and, when relevant, UN bodies and Arab League.
• Propose and implement EMHRN advocacy policies regarding Egypt, Jordan, Syria, Lebanon and Turkey.
• Support and facilitate the access of EMHRN members from these countries to the EU institutions.
• Be EMHRN focal point on Egypt (until a specific Egypt country coordinator is hired).
• Draft or coordinate input to EMHRN written contributions addressed to the EU institutions and UN as well as press releases regarding Egypt, Jordan, Syria, Lebanon and Turkey.
• Develop and conduct capacity building activities on advocacy in relation to EMHRN members, Executive Committee and staff working on Egypt, Jordan, Syria, Lebanon and Turkey.
Principal qualifications and core competences
• Advanced university degree in political or social science, international relations, EU-studies, law or similar qualification.
• Good understanding and knowledge of the EU institutions and their human rights mechanisms.
• Proven track record with advocacy work, preferably within the context of the EU institutions. Good knowledge or previous work experience with the UN bodies will be considered as an asset.
• Demonstrated interest for and if possible good knowledge of the Arab world and/or Turkey.
• Experience within project management, preferably in an NGO.
• Knowledge of human rights standards.
• Languages: Fluent English (both written and spoken), and excellent French; knowledge of Arabic and/or Turkish will be considered a strong advantage.
• Excellent communication skills (oral and written)
• Ability to draft clearly and succinctly
• Ability to establish and maintain contacts with representatives of EU institutions, governments and NGOs
• Ability to work efficiently in a multicultural environment, in particular in a North African and EU context
• Analytical skills, resourceful and organised work practices with capacity to deal efficiently with changing priorities
• Ability to keep strict deadlines and deal with several projects simultaneously
• Computer literacy (Word and Excel required)
• Ready to have flexible working time
Terms and conditions
Duration: 1 year contract with possible extension
Trial period: 3-month
Work hours: 36 hours per week
Salary: Based on EMHRN salary scale
Start of the assignment: 2 September 2013 or soon after
How to apply
Interested persons should submit their resume and application, in English only (or French if you are an English speaker), by email to Marie Picalausa, email@example.com, by 18 June 2013. Your email as well as the attached documents should clearly refer to 'Mashrek Advocacy Officer'.
Interviews are expected to take place on 24 and 25 June.
You are welcome to contact Sandrine Grenier, Programme Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org for further information on the position.
The EMHRN offers various positions and internships. You will find an overview here.